Monday, April 14, 2008

The Character of Evil

I'm behind on my movies watching. Really behind. Hence why only now have I finally seen 4 out of the 5 movies nominated for Best Picture. I actually was fortunate enough to catch 3 out of the 5 before the ceremony (Juno, No Country for Old Men, and Atonement) but I finally got around to seeing There Will Be Blood this weekend which I was told would make me think again about my pick of No Country as the best of the lot (and No Country was the one that did eventually take home the Best Picture win). Both were phenomenal movies in my opinion. But I'm not here to necessarily talk about the movies as a whole but to talk about two of the most amazing, fierce, haunting, and disturbing characters I've seen in any movie in a long time. Both movies had two villains for the ages and both actors rightfully took home Oscars for their brilliant performances.

Warning, if you haven't seen the movies and want to and don't want the endings ruined I suggest you stop reading now...

Seriously, don't read on, this is what they call a spoiler alert...

Alright, you've been fairly warned. The two characters portrayed in the films, the bounty hunter Anton Chigurh in No Country For Old Men and the oil tycoon Daniel Plainview in There Will Be Blood are absolutely fascinating. They are both calculating, well spoken, and ruthless at what they do. They show no remorse and in one particularly chilling scene, Anton has a very creepy smile on his face as he chokes an unsuspecting cop to death.

Perhaps the most disturbing part of both movies are the endings. In both movies, things are not wrapped up neatly in a bow and justice has not been served. In both cases, the villains keep going. They aren't killed off, they aren't arrested and brought to justice. The movies both end rather abruptly leaving us wondering what just happened. And let's face it, we want those nice, neat endings. We want justice, we want to know that evil of this magnitude gets what it deserves. But instead we are left knowing that these villains, these evil men keep on living and perhaps go on to wreck more lives.

I think I'm a bit weird because I appreciate these types of endings. Because when it comes down to it, life isn't wrapped up nice and neatly in the end usually. And as scary as it may seem, there is evil out there right now that isn't being brought to justice. Evil exists out there in very real ways. I am reminded of this more than ever now as tomorrow is the one year anniversary of the Virginia Tech shootings something that no one still has an explanation for. And yes, this thought is scary and worrisome. I don't like the thought that there are men like the men portrayed in this two movies or people who will walk into a school, shopping mall, or crowded market and open fire on anyone around them. It's hard knowing that there are ruthless killers out there, people willing to do whatever it takes to get their way, people with no discernible conscience, people who will use others to get their way, people with no fear of the consequences from others or from God.

So, how do we do it? How do we go on knowing that there is great evil out there? I think we keep going because we know that there is a potential for great good in the midst of great evil. I am reminded of the story of the professor who blockaded the door in order to save his students. I am reminded of Dietrich Bonhoeffer, a German Lutheran Pastor who headed up an assassination plot against Hitler. I am reminded that even though the church has not always put its best face forward in the name of God (see the Crusades) it also has done much good through mission trips, partnering with countries in need, preaching the Gospel through service and love, and welcoming others with open arms. I am reminded that even though we put God on a cross because of our sins, God took that and turned it on its head and used it for the greatest good possible, the forgiveness of our sins. Yes, great evil persists today as these two movies testify. But great good exists as well and it will always overcome this evil through Jesus' death and resurrection.

No comments: