Monday, July 07, 2008

The Death of the Midnight Movie Showing

I love movies. I think this has probably come across in some of my previous blog entries. And because I love movies, I also happen to love midnight showings. Midnight showings happen when a new, big, potential blockbuster is coming out. They have a special showing at 12:01 so we can be guaranteed to be the first people to experience the movie.

Truth be told, midnight showings were a pretty geeky affair. I remember seeing Star Wars Episode III right after my first year of seminary. I went with some friends from church and one of them dressed up in his Jedi Halloween costume and I even attempted to put my hair in the Princess Leia buns (it didn't work, my hair isn't quite thick enough). I remember seeing Star Wars Episode II in college with a bunch of my college buddies. The whole theater started cheering when Yoda walked onto screen during the last big fight scene because we knew exactly what was coming.

The point being midnight showings used to attract a very specific brand of people: geeks. We had a ton invested in whatever movie it was that we were seeing. For movies like Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, and Spider-Man we were deeply invested in the characters, we knew the mythology behind the stories, and this time was sacred. Even though we sometimes know what's coming, it still is fun to watch it unfold as the director and writers have interpreted it. It's fun to see our favorite stories and characters come to life.

However, as I've gone to more and more movie showings lately I've noticed that this is not the case anymore. When I went to Spider-Man 3 last year, people started laughing at the end of the movie during a particularly dramatic death scene. Granted, it wasn't the best scene ever but way to ruin the movie for the people around you. If people hadn't have been laughing, maybe I would have been able to feel some real emotion. Basically, way to ruin the moment for everyone else.

In May after classes had finished I went to see a midnight showing of Prince Caspian in the local theater. I was by myself which was fine. There were a ton of people there which surprised me but I figured I'd roll with it. I was a big fan of the books as it was and the author, CS Lewis, was one of my favorites. During the previews I couldn't help but noticing the two girls and one guy in front me of could not stop laughing and giggling and it was really loud and obnoxious. Granted, it was the preview for Beverly Hills Chihuahua which looks like the worst movie idea ever but still, shut it. Then came one of the most dramatic, intense scenes of the movie where the hero is being tempted by a very real evil and it's really symbolic of our temptations as humans and I think it's pretty deep. All of a sudden, they start laughing and giggling again. For no reason. And they won't stop. Are you effing kidding me? I decide that enough is enough and tap their seats with my foot, hoping it will get their attention. No luck. And they're still laughing. Finally, I just do a full out soccer kick to their chairs. They finally shut up and the scene is over. What?!?!

I can't even begin to tell you how mad I was that these people were ruining the movie for me and for the people around us. Somewhere in here, the midnight movie showing has died. It is no longer the thing that only geeks and movie lovers do. Suddenly, all the cool kids who have no interest in movies but are looking for an excuse to get out of the house late on a Thursday night have started coming to these. And honestly, it has started to truly ruin it for those of us who take our movies really, REALLY seriously. And you know, I think I would be fine with it if these people just didn't talk, laugh, and giggle through the entire movie.

Will I keep going to midnight showings? Most definitely, I can't help myself. But I reserve the right to judge the dedication of the other viewers and give a swift kick to the seat if someone won't stop talking/texting during important parts of the movie.

No comments: