Monday, July 24, 2006

Last Days, "Goodbyes," and Other Ends

Friday was my last day at Joe's Crab Shack. After two years of dancing on chairs, serving up good seafood and good service (at least I hope), and meeting some amazing people, my time there was done. And much like my life in general now, it was kind of hard to believe. Granted, it is nice to know I will have more free time to prep for internship I know I will miss all the people I've worked with. It has been the perfect escape from seminary and I am grateful for the great friends I have made there. And I think what made my last day a bit more difficult (other than the fact that it was surprisingly busy) was it was the first of the many "goodbyes" I will be saying in the next two weeks.

As a friend of mine told me months before he passed away, there are no "goodbyes," only "see you laters." I find myself leaning on that as I say "goodbye" to seminary friends who are in different classes than I. Being the small world that it is in the ELCA, I know I will most likely cross paths with many of them in the future. But just in case I don't, it is good to know that I can rely on the promises of God.

And as my time in MN comes to an end, as I start saying goodbye to people I love dearly such as my family and friends I remember that I am only gone for a year and that email, cell phones, and blogging are wonderful gifts. And as for what I am leaving all this for, the chance to be a pastor in training and to live out my call in a more real world setting, well, it's not too shabby. "Every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end." Praise God for new beginnings!

No comments: