Sunday, July 16, 2006

"The One"

With so many weddings and other things going on in our lives these days, this phrase seems to come up a lot. "Is he/she the one?" And this is something that has been on my mind a great deal recently in light of current events. And turns out, I hadn't found the one yet. However, as much as this discovery can break the heart, I was reminded at the Gathering this week of a completely different meaning of this phrase that carries as much importance in my life at least.

At camp we would always talk about "the one" camper that made the day/week/summer worth it. That no matter how the rest of the summer went, you would always remember that one camper that showed you that you were supposed to be at camp, at that time, to interact with that one person and that they made it all worth it. They were the reason you were there.

Quite unexpectedly, I met "the one" at the Gathering. I wasn't expecting this at all. I highly doubted I would be able to get into a deep conversation with anyone in the chaos of the Gathering, especially since I wasn't attached to a group. But never underestimate God! It was a chance encounter and I found myself talking to this high schooler about the existence of God, atheism, life, grace, and everything inbetween, all while standing at the seminary booth. Though I do not know whether I helped him find his way or answers is beside the point. What I found was the reason I want to be in ministry. I want to be challenged by people. I want to be able to have these conversations with people. And I want people to know they can come to me in times when they are doubting the existence of God even though I'm their pastor. I will be at a church to preach the Gospel and administer the sacraments but so much of what I will be doing is relational and that is what will keep me going ultimately. I will be preaching the Gospel from not just a pulpit. And I hope I can help other people find this call as well.

So, even though I was sent to the Gathering to find youth with a potential call to seminary I instead found a reminder of why I am at seminary and a new friend who will challenge me and help me grow in my faith and my call. He was "the one" that made all the difference in my life during this fast paced, hectic, God-filled week.

1 comment:

Greg M. Johnson said...

Please enter my sermon-writing contest specifically for ELCA seminarians. .

Its purpose is to encourage law and gospel preaching about a passage that has been viewed as a source of humanitarian concern.

Please see entry details at:
http://www.geocities.com/pterandon/truthvslove3.html

Previous selected sermons at:
http://truthvslove.blogspot.com/

Deadline is August 15th.