Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Fighting the Good Fight

I've been here for a little over two weeks and I must say, it is hard to believe. In many ways, it feels like I've always been here. I'm getting into a routine, finding my way around the area, making some friends through church, and quickly learning what it is that I need to be doing around here. It's still all very new and fresh and exciting. However, I can also start calling this place and my church home. It's quite the mix but it keeps me on my toes while letting me relax a bit.

At church they also haven't hesitated giving me responsibility. Between Rally Sunday, starting a capital campaign, and all the crazyness that comes with fall programming kicking off again, it's been a whirlwind of action with me trying to help where I can. Plus, they aren't afraid to let me do random stuff for the service. I sang the kyrie on Sunday which was fun (for you fellow seminarians and hardcore Lutherans, it was setting one and incredibly easy) and was told 30 minutes before the service that I was supposed to do the prayers. But, I love the busyness, even though the busyness kind of misses me because I'm new and am not expected to really do as much. I've been impressed with how the staff at church work like a well oiled machine. The joys of being at a healthy large church.

The good news is that I'm actually finding that my seminary education hasn't been for nothing. I think that my middler year in general has instilled a fighting spirit in me. This could be fighting against the part of the system that seems to want to domesticate me or fighting on behalf of what I really believe about the potential of the Gospel, God, and the church. And this fight, this passion, is translated directly into my ministry. It's not just talk anymore, I finally get to put my money where my mouth is and put all this energy, put this fight, into a church that cares, that's passionate about the Gospel and delivering it to the people. So, though the year was hard and took so much out of me, I'm glad I had that conflict because I think that makes this experience, this chance to be a church so much more meaningful and there is no way I'm going to waste it if I can help it. I know I still am going to need all the grace I can get from God and the congregation but I know that with the help of God, I'm not going to sit and let this pass me by.

No comments: