Friday, March 23, 2007

Mute Math Part 2!!!


If had to pick one band to represent my life here in Charlotte as my soundtrack I would have to pick Mute Math, hands down. I was introduced to the band by my friend Jeff early in my tenure here (see blog entry from 10/23). I have now seen them twice in concert here in Charlotte, have gone through three copies of their CD (given away to friends, worn out another), and have constantly had their songs stuck in my head. They have a one-of-a-kind sound and have lyrics with a message that I can really get behind. And tonight I saw them for the second time! Let me tell you that I live for nights like this!

I was even more impressed this time around when I knew they music backwards and forwards. They stayed true to the music, yet improvised enough so we didn't feel like we were just listening to the CD. They also sound incredible live. Oh, and for the record, in the picture above the drummer is duct taping his headphones to his head. And by the end of the show they're usually flung off anyway. Have I mentioned that the lead singer also plays a keytar??? How can they not be great with a keytar?


However, what I was most impressed with today, besides the music, was the people behind the music. I waited afterwards and was given the chance to meet the band face to face and chat and hear some of their stories from the road. They were incredibly humble and appreciative. They might have said thank you more than I did. They were all personable too and I now know way too much about the guitarists' esophagus but hey, it was a great story.

So needless to say, it's been a great night and I'm still awake simply because I'm trying to unwind. As far as concerts go, this would probably fall in my top five (with U2, Coldplay, Smashing Pumpkins, and Weezer).

"Cuz I know there's got to be another level
Somewhere closer to the other side
And I'm feelin' like it's now or never
Can I break the spell of the typical?"

No comments: