Wednesday, October 17, 2007

I Love the Fall!

There's something about the end of September and the month of October that I simply love. Part of it is the cooler weather, the opportunity to sleep with the windows open and snuggle beneath multiple blankets. The colors are changing around the Twin Cities and it is simply breathtaking when I drive over the MN River Valley on the way to my CPE site. I also get to dig out all my sweaters, long-sleeved shirts, and sweatshirts which means my wardrobe nearly doubles. However, a huge part of it is the MLB playoff push. I remember three years ago when the Red Sox came back from a three game deficit to pummel the Yankees in Game 7 of the ALCS. I remember two years ago when the MN Twins made the historic run to the playoffs when only a couple of months ago they were struggling to stay above .500. What I will take from this year is the Rockies' streak to the World Series. Let me give you a few facts (courtesy of ESPN.com)

They've won 21 of its last 22 games.

They were only four games over .500 on Sept. 15, two weeks before the season ended and the playoffs began.

They were six games out of the wild-card race in September.

They were 4.5 games back with only nine games left to play.

They were two games behind with only two games to play.

After they had won their last game the Padres were only 1 strike away from clinching the wild-card in their final game thus disqualifying the Rockies.

They were two runs behind in the 13th inning of the mini-playoff game against the Padres.

And yet, here they are, ready for their first World Series with a group of players that have been relatively unknown till this streak. Who the heck is Todd Helton, Josh Fogg, Matt Holliday, or Seth Smith? And it is these relatively unknown players that have now become MVP's and heroes.

Why am I so fascinated with this team and this story? I love the underdog, there's no way around that but that's not the whole story. The Rockies also remind me a bit of the MN Twins last year who took the AL Central division crown the very last game of the season to cap off an incredible come-from-behind-run only to lose it in the playoffs. But there's something more to this. Through this whole story, even before the first game of the World Series will even be played and whether they win or lose (I'm hoping that they win), they have accomplished the impossible. And they have accomplished the impossible not with big names and big salaries but with a heckuva lot of determination and heart. How do you not love that? I like to believe in miracles and I think this qualifies as a sporting miracle. So, Go Rockies!!!

No comments: