Wednesday, January 17, 2007

A Little Piece of Home

I was never one much to watch too much television before internship. When I was in seminary as a full time student I had a part time job, volunteer duties at a couple of churches, and was also one of the "social coordinators" at the seminary (i.e. I was the only one motivated enough to coordinate everyone to go out on the weekends). In other words, I really didn't have time to watch TV. However, even though I generally had class on Tuesday nights and volunteered on Wednesday nights, I still somehow have managed to get hooked on American Idol.

This year I find myself with more time on my hands, therefore, I have more time to watch some American Idol. I usually don't start watching until the more selective rounds but this year I had a good reason to watch the premiere. It was in my hometown of Minneapolis!!! How can you not get a little bit excited for that when you find yourself halfway across the country? So, I watched parts of it (I had to get some work done at a coffee shop last night but taped the whole thing) and got a kick out of how bad people from my home turf were. I think Seacreast made some comment about how we were the "Mid-worst."

The funniest part about the show for me was a slight inside joke with my friends. I had always commented to my roommates (the ones who got me hooked on the show) that I should try out for the show just for kicks if it came through the Twin Cities. I have a decent enough voice and can carry a tune much better than many of the people they show. So I at least probably wouldn't make a fool out of myself. And I asked my roomies what song they would have me perform on the show. They picked Standing Still for me by Jewel, one I'm known for belting loudly in the apartment with my guitar.

And of course, last night night when I turn on the television after I get home from work, lo and behold the guest judge is Jewel. I got a good laugh from that and called one of my former roomies and had a good laugh about it. So maybe it is a good thing that I'm out here doing my internship and not at home trying out for American Idol... :)

1 comment:

Becca said...

Haha. It makes me laugh every time I hear that song!