Sunday, September 16, 2007

Choosing Teams

I faced a huge dilemma this weekend. It was Friday night and I was splitting channel time between the Twins/Tigers game and the BoSox/Yankees game. One of the games was a no-brainer. I was cheering for the Red Sox for a couple of reasons. First of all, it's the Red Sox and I still have some lingering allegiance even after they've broken the curse. Sure, they are kind of the new Yankees but I don't think I could ever hate a team as much as the Yankees. However, my deep hatred for the Yankees, born in my love the underdogs and my MN Twins is what caused this crisis of conscience this weekend.

The Twins are pretty much out of the playoffs. It's been a dismal season and I have yet to go to a winning game since the home opener LAST SEASON! But, they' re still my team, they're still my boys and I still will watch their games on TV or on gameday when I'm in the library. Cleveland is on top of the AL Central with Detroit a few games behind. In the East New York has slowly been whittling away at Boston's mid-season 12 game lead. And, unfortunately, New York has overtaken Detroit in the wildcard race.

This means that the two games on Friday had huge implications for the playoffs, considering the season is over in about two weeks. I'm obviously cheering for the BoSox, that's a given. But with the Twins, it gets complicated. I want the Twins to win because, well, it's the Twins. But I also know that we're playing spoiler to Detroit's playoff hopes right now and if Detroit makes the playoffs, that means that New York probably doesn't. So what do I do? Cheer for the Twins even though it means that Detroit's playoff hopes diminish with a loss? Or do a cheer for the Tigers because let's be honest, the season is pretty much shot? Which wins out, my love for the Twins or my hate of the Yankees?

Well, the love of the Twins won out in this situation, because it's the Twins. Of course, this didn't work out so well in that the Twins blew a rare lead during this series and then the BoSox blew the lead as well and totally lost it in the last part of the game. Basically, it was a really bad night for me and baseball. But, the Twins will always be my time, no matter where I end up living in the long run. Maybe, I'll just move to a NL city and then I can cheer for two teams...

1 comment:

Jeff said...

Never pull for the Yankees under any circumstances. It will destroy your soul.