Monday, September 24, 2007

Closing Out the Season

It's official. I went to my last Twins game of the season on Saturday. Four Twins games in the 5 weeks I've been back in MN isn't too bad. However, my record at the Twins games hasn't been so good (o-4, ouch!). However, there was a silver lining to all of this.

Friday's game was a hoot partially because of the company (my roomie Becca and our friend Nick) and partially because the game was actually exciting (despite the fact that we lost). Plus, since Nick has such a loud voice and really likes to shout the entire game, I felt like I could yell a little more than usual because, well, no one could hear me anyway.

Saturday was a last minute decision. I was supposed to spend the day in the library working on a paper and reading for seminary but I got an offer I couldn't refuse. My friend, Corey, had amazing seats. We were five rows up from the dugout on the edge of the home plate end. It was AMAZING!!!



Yeah, that's my view of Tori Hunter without a zoom.

However, the highlight of the game for me was completely unexpected. As I was walking to our section in the Dome with Corey and his parents I was stopped by a young woman who started asking me, "Are you interested..." and I immediately thought, "Great, she's going to try and sell me a credit card." However, she finished, "...in being a part of one of our promotions?"

...What?! Wait a minute? "Sure!" is thankfully what pops out of my mouth! So, I'm told I'm going to have to guess how many air miles it is from the Dome to some other place in the US. Whoa! I get a pass to the press box and am told to show up in the middle of the third. Oh yeah, and this is all going to be on the jumbotron!!!!!

So, I watch the Twins play the first 3 innings and obediently head to the press box. They explain the game to me: they'll give me two cities and I need to guess the air miles within 200 and then I get a prize. Granted, I'll get a prize one way or another. So, deep breath, smile for the camera that is literally right in my face, and here we go...

How many miles are there between the Metrodome and Petco Park in San Diego? I'm quickly doing the math in my head. It's around 950 miles to Charlotte. I think LA is 175% of that which is close to San Diego so...

My guess = 1672

Actual mileage = 1522

Which means I win!!! I won a pink Twins hat!!! Crazyness! And as I went back to down to our amazing seats people actually recognized me and cheered. It was a weird feeling but it was definitely joyous! So, my claim to fame now: I've been on the Metrodome Jumbotron!

1 comment:

Jeff said...

Well, it's official...it's all downhill from here.