Monday, January 21, 2008

Here I was, expecting to have to write a long blog entry justifying my reasons for cheering for the Packers for the first time in my life and instead find myself pleasantly surprised to be able to cheer for a team that I actually like. Whew!

So, for those of you who aren't football fans or sports fans in general, I apologize in advance for this blog post.

The big game was yesterday in sub-zero temperatures. The team that I really wanted to see win, the Colts, were already out of the playoff scenario and ever since the season has picked up, all I've really wanted to see was the Pats lose. Yes, you heard me right, I was willing to cheer for any team just to see the Pats lose, even the Green Bay Packers. Now, this is a huge deal for me because being from MN, I'm a Vikings fan (unfortunately) which means by default, I hate the Packers. It's always been a huge rivalry, especially since the MN and WI are next to each other and you can always find MN fans in WI and WI fans in MN. So, as the shirts say, my favorite teams are the Vikings and whoever is playing against the Packers.

However, the potential Super Bowl between the Pats and the Packers present a conundrum for me. You see, I hate dynasties. It's just not my thing. That's probably why I couldn't get behind either Duke or UNC mens' basketball while I was in NC (also, because I didn't really feel like pissing everyone off by choosing sides but then again, I did cheer for NC State for fun to antagonize my friends). That's why I hate the NY Yankees. That's why I hated the LA Lakers. And that's why I'm not for the Pats. It's always more fun to see the upset, to be be surprised, to cheer for the underdog. And also, I just don't respect the Pats after that whole cheating scandal at the beginning of the season. I'm ready for something new. I'm ready to stop hearing about Tom Brady and start hearing about this younger Manning who has turned into a clutch player or see Favre go out on top because as much as I hate the Packers, I've gotten give respect to the man for playing one heckuva season.

So, last night I cheered for the Giants, not really knowing what to expect, half thinking that I was still going to end up cheering for the Pack for the first time in my life in two weeks. And then came the 47 yard field goal to win the game. It was nuts! And I can't help but get behind the Giants and Eli. I like his brother so why shouldn't I like Eli. And he's played like a real pro the past couple of games and showed that he can indeed be clutch. And wouldn't it be great to shut up all those Patriots fans who are already gloating about their perfect season? You better believe I will be in my red, white, and blue in two weeks cheering all out for the long shot, the underdog, the unexpected contenders with all I've got because well, I've got nothing to lose. Go Giants!

2 comments:

Karen Elizabeth said...

Tasha, so I read the first part of you blog and thought, why is she posting about football...and then I remember that in the US this is Superbowl season...HOW WEIRD that I completely forgot about it. Thanks for the reminder and I'm glad you have someone to cheer for!

Jeff said...

Go Pats.