Monday, February 11, 2008

Checked Out

It's only the third day of classes and already I feel like I'm behind. And I'm only taking three classes right now as opposed to the usual five. Weird. I think I'm going to attribute this phenomenon to the fact that these are a big couple of weeks in the life of an M. Div. senior at Luther Seminary. We've started our final semester of seminary (Woo-Hoo!) and the Great Draft is in a measly nine days. Whew! I'm tired already. Add to that a lot of heady subject material covered in my classes, especially my final theology course on the Holy Spirit and the Trinity (it seriously takes me a good hour to read 15 pages of one of our books, that's right on par with how long it would take me to read 15 pages in my plant physiology textbooks). The finish line is in sight and I think many of us seniors are finding it hard to concentrate on the here and now when the end is in sight. And it doesn't just seem like it's the end of school, it's the beginning of the rest of our lives as pastors, God-willing we don't suffer burnout.

Therefore, I'm finding it a little bit harder than usual concentrating in class. I'm finding it a bit harder to buckle down and read my textbooks. I'm finding it more frustrating when an assignment isn't as practical or applicable to ministry as I'd like it be.

But at the same time I'm finding things to look forward to in my final semester. The seniors are finally preaching in Chapel which has proved to be a breath of fresh air. I'm so proud of my friends and know that one after another will bring it in the pulpit. Many of us are realizing that this is indeed our final semester in this sometimes equally amazing and frustrating community that has given us so many chances to grow and learn and doing all we can to take advantage of this gift. And of course, there is the promise of the life after seminary, when we finally get to truly walk the walk and be in congregations all over the country and all over the world. Even as a face my apathy toward my coursework I can't help but get excited about all the possibilities. It's always a delicate balance. I'm not quite ready to be completely checked out of this community and this learning process. There is too much at stake to not keep learning and discerning, to take this community for granted, and to not work to strengthen these friendships and ties that have meant the world to me and carried me through so much already.

So here's to what I hope, pray, and know will be an memorable and amazing final semester!

No comments: