Monday, October 09, 2006

Comebacks Part III: The End














It's hard to watch your team go from the first picture to the second (photos courtesy of espn.com). The end of the season was one heckuva ride going from being AL Central division champs to being swept in the series. All of this going down in less than a week. To go from pure elation to "what just happened here?" Well, it's not an easy transition.

And despite all that happened in the past couple of weeks, I still stand by the Twins. What a season! And I would argue it is one of the best comebacks ever by a baseball team, whether they advanced in the playoffs or not. Granted yes, I am very biased. We've all heard the stories, 12 1/2 games behind, a sub .500 record, losing key players to injury all throughout the season. And I guess I just find it inspiring that a team everyone had written off was able to come back and prove that they were a force to be reckoned with, that they weren't finished, that they were going to fight till the very last game of the season.

Another thing I love about this team is how young it is. It has potential between Morneau, Mauer, and Liriano, and everyone else, well, we're in a good place to make some waves next season. And I guess that's another thing. There's always another year, another season, another game to be played. And I feel that this time, I don't have to explain the analogies, you can figure them out!

So here's to next year! And also here's to the player that really has embodied what this team is all about this year, Brad Radke, who might not be there for the first time in 12 years! Thanks for an incredible ride and for giving me lots to blog about (and thanks to all of you for putting up with my Twins obsession!).

No comments: