Wednesday, October 04, 2006

A Week of Firsts

This has been a big week for me and promises to be even bigger as it progresses. It has been and will be a week of first for me. And they are all good firsts or at least I hope they will be.

This past weekend I went on the first of four high school retreats that I hope I get to participate in. This one was the whitewater rafting retreat. It was my first time really getting to hang out with the youth and I loved it. They are a group of really amazing kids who really care for each other and care about God. We both played and prayed hard and sometimes even combined the two. I got to play paintball with them which was fun. I had a couple of hits and also have two very impressive bruises from direct hits on my arms. I worshipped with them. I led them in worship. I also got to go whitewater rafting for the first time! It was a rush! I loved it! And watching the kids take that experience and using it as a lesson for relying on God was a great connection. I left the weekend exhausted but yet exhilirated. Seeing young people on fire for God, there's nothing quite like it.

This week brings a different first. It's my first sermon for the big congregation, a total of 1000 people worshipping throughout all of Sunday. And to top it off, I'm the closer for the series. I'm the one who has to bring it all home. And to add to the list of firsts, I'm preaching on the First and Second Commandment. Whew! It's my first time preaching in a sermon series. The first time I get to use multi-media with the sermon. The first time I have to write worship notes to go along with a sermon.

And you know, as terrifying as it is, I'm still getting the same rush I felt on the river. Sometimes it's like that splash of cold water that takes your breath away in surprise. Sometimes it's realizing how potentially dangerous and scary this all is. Sometimes it's riding wherever the river takes you and trusting that your guide will lead you through it all. Sometimes it's running up against some pretty nasty rocks and getting a jolt. And you know what, I lived through my first rafting experience so I'm pretty sure I'll live through my first preaching experience here.

No comments: