Thursday, November 02, 2006

All Saints

Alright, I'm not trying to over-do it with religious holidays. But it struck me yesterday, November first, the day known as All Saints Day, that it had been four years ago that a good friend of mine passed away. What really hit me was that she had actually died on Halloween, the day before, and I didn't even remember on that day. And that realization brought up all sorts of questions.

What does it mean that I didn't think about it on the day? Sure, the wounds have healed well enough and I've found the peace that only comes through God. Time has passed, life has continued being a little different than it was before. And here I am at this point, where a day that four years ago rocked my world is easily passed over without even a thought. And I know the grief has passed and the mourning is for the most part done. But yet, I still wonder what it is that I'm supposed to do with days like this. I say a little prayer for all those affected by both her life and death. And I thank God for the "cloud of witnesses" that have gone before me and cheer me on.

And maybe that's why it's good that we have a day like "All Saints Day." It reminds us of the witness and all the saints that went before us. It gives us a day to remember, to rejoice, shed a tear, and whatever else we need to do in order to remember those whom we loved that are no longer with us. And then we can feel like we don't forget the ministry of those who came before us and can feel connected to them still.

No comments: