Sunday, December 24, 2006

Christmas Eve In Charlotte

Forecast for Christmas Eve in Charlotte, NC = warm and partly sunny with the highs in the mid-sixties. It's currently 62 outside. However, come Christmas Day expect lots of rain. Also in the forecast, six Christmas services with lots of candles, caroling, and hopefully very little chaos.

It's funny, I've known I was going to be out here for Christmas since internship started. So I've prepped myself for being away from the usual family and friends and have been handling it well enough. What's really thrown me off is the weather. Granted, MN hasn't always had the Christmas weather ever since global warming has taken over but I always feel it shouldn't be any warmer than 40 degrees around Christmas and there should always be cold enough that there is at least a small possibility of snow. So here I am, in the south where it's warm and sunny and it honestly freaks me out. People are wearing their holiday sweaters and turtlenecks to church and I want to yell at them and say, it's not cold enough for you to be wearing those! I'm wearing my suit for tonight and I have a feeling I'm going to roast.

Anyway, all jokes aside. Right now I'm getting ready for the services. I should be napping but I think the adrenaline has already started. Christmas Eve, this is one of the big ones and I am hoping and praying that people's hearts will be open to hear the Gospel, to hear what God has done for them. And it's really hit me this year, as I have friends all over the country and the world that are preparing to celebrate our savior Jesus' birth, that we really are all united. That we are all going forth with the good tidings of comfort and joy. May this peace, love, and joy be contangious and may we spread the Good News as the shepherds did so many years ago.

No comments: