Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Getting From Point A to Point B

"So, how did you end up in Charlotte?" That's a question I've been getting a lot lately. And I've answered it in my usual way, explaining about the internship process, about applying, interviewing, putting down preferences, and then being matched up. It makes sense and that explanation sounds good and looks good on paper. But tonight is one of those nights where I feel like it's not that simple. Where I sit back for a minute, take stock of all that has happened within the night, the week, the four months that I've been here, my two years at seminary, and going all the way back through childhood I realize that, even though I can trace my steps quite well, I'm still not quite sure how I ended up here.

Today and this week especially is one of those times where I can feel that I'm a part of something much grander than myself, that what's going on in my life is a part of something so much larger than what decisions I make. And this isn't to say I'm anything special or what not. It's just that I know that I'm not in control of this; this call to ministry and where God is ultimately going to lead me in the next couple of years. And I also see that explaining how I ended up in Charlotte really isn't as simple as my two minute answer. There's so much more going on, some of which I can see and know and so much more that I have no clue about.

So, the new answer to the question: "How did you end up in Charlotte?" I think by the grace of God sums it up quite nicely. If you want more details, fine. But I think I need the boiled down answer tonight. God is who's in control, God's the one in charge of this whole deal, God's got the map, and God is the one leading me to exactly where He needs me to be.

No comments: